Commercial WordPress themes are an excellent solution for my clients who need a quick turn-around, low cost solution. The key to this type of solution lies in your choice of theme vendors. Good pre-built themes combine easy customization, the right amount of options, and a clean under-lying codebase. These factors work together to give you a website that you can edit and your web developer can easily customize further for you if you have additional specifications beyond the theme’s defaults.
Keeping these things in mind, here are some of my favorite Commercial WordPress theme vendors:
- StudioPress - These guys are the makers of the Genesis Theme Framework. While the Genesis Theme is an excellent framework for building full-custom child themes, the StudioPress child theme collection is a well-rounded suite of designs suitable for a wide variety of projects.The Genesis child themes at StudioPress all feature clean code which allows me to make quick customizations for my client’s special requests.
- WooThemes – The WooThemes collection of themes is large and always growing. All of their themes feature a consistent, polished admin interface. Plus, their WooCommerce plugin is quickly becoming my favorite e-commerce solution.
- Themeforest – WordPress Category - The strength and weakness of the Themeforest WordPress Themes Category is the myriad of themes available. They have so many good looking themes available that it’s sometimes hard to settle on one you like.By and large, the underlying code for any Themeforest theme I’ve used has been to my satisfaction. The only drawback here is that many different developers contribute to their repository. Therefore, it often takes me a bit to get used to working with a theme that I’m unfamiliar with.
- ElegantThemes – One $39 subscription gives you access to all of the themes available at ElegantThemes. The quality of their themes is so good, I sort of wonder how they do it for that price. The only thing I don’t like about their themes is the default font size and font color for many of them. Often the text is too small and too faint; however, that can be fixed fairly easily with some CSS edits.
- WordPress.org Commercially Supported GPL Themes – The makers of WordPress have a listing of theme vendors on their website. It’s a great place to start your search for quality themes made by persons and companies with a good reputation in the WordPress Community.